Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Third Viewing

On Friday October 28th, 2011 I made my third visit to my micro-aquarium.

There were many changes to be observed. On Friday October 21, 2011 one Beta Food Pellet was inserted into each micro-aquarium. (An "Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.)

The presence of this food source in the environment definitely had an effect on the population and dominant varieties of micro-organisms. I was able to look at my micro-aquarium under a higher powered lens and take photos to help better identify the organisms present.

The most numerous organisms present were copepods, nematodes, vorticella and desmids. Here is a photo I took of a copepod, Macrocyclops albidus, with an unidentified nematode. (Source: http://cfb.unh.edu/cfbkey/html/Organisms/CCopepoda/OCyclopoida/GMacrocyclops/Macrocyclops_albidus/macrocyclopsalbidus.html)


In the soil there was a large population of the green algae, Closterium. (Source: http://silicasecchidisk.conncoll.edu/LucidKeys/Carolina_Key/html/Closterium_Main.html)


I was able to identify what I believe to be some Vorticella campanula in and around my aquatic plants. (Source: http://www.serc.si.edu/labs/phytoplankton/guide/Microzoop.aspx)



This week's observation proved to be more interesting than the previous to me personally because I was able to get to know the organisms better. It seems like every week it is a completely different environment with new species. I don't know what to expect with each visit but it is always quite interesting.

-Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment